Friday, November 8, 2013

Health update

2 months ago my doctor decided to go ahead and put me on Metformin (diabetic medicine).  I have been taking 2 pills a day.  This week I had a follow up.  I went from my A1C being 8.1 in May to 7.4 in August, and now it is 6.1 which is an excellent controlled level.  I have also lost 27 pounds since May.  I am slowing losing the weight and things are great, except my cholesterol number is up at a total number of 202, so its borderline.  Take away the sweets and I ended up eating a lot of meats and cheeses. 

Here is what I have been doing.  I changed my eating habits.  I use to eat nothing for breakfast, and eat all evening long.  Now I eat every 3 hours, just a little something and I actually eat ice cream, chocolate, whatever I want, just a small amount every couple hours.  I cut out sodas and only drink water or diet rite.  I snack on a lot of peanut butter if I feel hungry and don't think I will make it to the next meal.  Its low in carbs and no cholesterol.  I also cut out potatoes and pancakes, my most favorite foods, but both high in carbs and affected my blood sugar numbers the most. 

In the beginning, I walked 30 minutes a day, but once school started and the kids activities increased, I found no time to walk, but I still continue to lose weight following these things.

For 2 months I tracked everything I ate, my weight and exercise and my blood sugar numbers.  I started to see what worked and now I don't have to track it all, because I think I have figured out what works for me.  My doctor does not want me to lose more that 2-3 pounds a month.