Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Living with Diabetes at 39

May 20, 2013 will be a day I won't soon forget.....

I made a doctors appointment for a heal spur and ended up getting blood drawn for checking my blood sugar, liver and cholesterol.  All were bad.  My A1C was 8.1.  I had previously had gestational diabetes 13 years ago while pregnant with Megan but was able to control it with diet, so my doctor decided to have blood drawn to check and it was high.  He called me a couple days later with the results and said he wanted me to go back on the diet I was on while pregnant 13 years ago and come back in 3 weeks and track my sugar and see what my numbers were then. 

I literally could not bring myself to eat the first 5 days after finding out I was now a Type 2 diabetic.  Checking my numbers, they were constantly high (over 200, below 120 is normal), so I refused to eat for 5 days.  Even without eating my numbers would not drop.  I ended up losing 9 pounds in those 5 days.  After talking to several people with diabetes, they told me I needed to eat to get my numbers to drop, just eating the right food and eating about every 2 hours, but eating less.  It has started to bring my numbers down, and when I went back to the doctor, I had lost 12 pounds and my A1C went down to 7.4.  The doctor told me he was not going to put me on medicine yet, and to continue to do what I was doing.  I went to see a dietician and did a lot of research online. 

About 6 weeks later, I have lost 15 pounds.  I'm not sure what my A1C number is, but will find that out when I go back to the doctor in 2 months.

On a side note, I still have my heal spur :( which makes walking every night hard, but I push through it.

More updates (hopefully good ones) to come soon.